Vehicle Use


Please wait while the data is retrieved...

Every operator of a motor pool vehicle is responsible for understanding and adhering to ALL policies.

Use Authorization
Requirements of Operator
Responsibilities of Operator
Picking Up Vehicles
Returning Vehicles
Road Repairs
Accident Reporting

Use Authorization


Only authorized State University faculty, staff, and students may operate a motor pool vehicle. The vehicle may be used only for State University business.


Domestic and non-domestic animals are NOT allowed in the vehicles with the exception of seeing-eye, hearing-ear, and service dogs. (Please indicate a special vehicle requirement when making the reservation, of the need to transport one of these dogs.) Caged research animals may be transported in cargo vans only. There will be a $50.00 fee charged to the department/organization if an unauthorized animal is transported in a Motorpool vehicle.


Vehicles are not to be used for towing. No objects are to be placed, mounted, or tied to the outside of any motor pool vehicle. Damage resulting from any of these conditions will be the responsibility of the requestor's department/organization.


Smoking is strictly prohibited in all motor pool vehicles.

Requirements of Operator


All drivers of motor pool vehicles must possess a valid U.S. driver's license. For insurance purposes, the Motor Pool office, must have on file a list of all persons who will be operating motor pool vehicles. This must include the driver's name, license number, state of issue, expiration date of license, and driver's date of birth.


All drivers must be active student, faculty members or employees.

Responsibilities of Operator


The operator of the vehicle has, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:

  • Safe operation and security of the vehicle until it has been returned to the Motor-pool.
  • Strict adhere to all traffic and parking laws. A practice of road courtesy at all times. YOU are responsible for all traffic, parking and toll violations. Any citations received by the Motor-pool office shall be forwarded to the department (or organization) that reserved the vehicle.
  • Safety belts are to be worn by all occupants of the vehicle at all times the vehicle is in motion. The driver is responsible for ensuring that all occupants comply with this requirement!
  • Do not abuse this vehicle! Vehicle damage resulting from abuse is subject to payment by the driver's department (or organization).
  • If it is determined that the driver of a vehicle is at fault in an accident, the department (or organization) will be required to pay all costs not covered by current State University insurance policies.
  • No large expenses (over $50) are to be incurred without prior approval of the Motor-pool (garage personnel). If repairs are authorized, all parts and/or tires removed from the vehicle must be returned to the Motor-pool.
  • Drivers are required to report any and all mechanical defects upon return of the vehicle. 



Reservations must be cancelled at least 24 hours in advance or a cancellation fee of $25.00 may be assessed to the requestor's account. Cancellations must be made via the Motorpool web site or by phone (901) 448-2438. The Motor Pool staff may cancel vehicles not picked up within 4 hours of the scheduled reservation time.

Picking Up Vehicles


Keys can be picked up only during UTHSC work hours 8:00am-4:30pm CST.


The Motor pool office must receive written notification prior to vehicle pick-up, if someone other than the driver is picking up vehicle.

Returning Vehicles


Returning vehicles late without notifying the Motorpool staff may result in revocation of Motor-pool privileges. Contact the Motorpool office if at risk of not returning the vehicle on time is imminent.


The returned vehicle should be free of trash or excessive debris. The department (or organization) which reserved the vehicle shall be charged a $25.00 clean up fee if a vehicle's interior is judged to be excessively dirty.


Please make sure the vehicle is locked and all lights are turned off. Return keys to the Motorpool staff during business office hours.


If returning After Hours contact Campus Police (901) 448-4444.



Road Repairs


Vehicles which develop mechanical problems while in the local area should be returned for replacement. In the event that it would be impractical to operate the vehicle, the Motor-pool should be contacted for assistance. While the Motor-pool strives to maintain its fleet of vehicles in the best possible condition, breakdowns do occur.


The Motor-pool will make every effort to assist the customer during any breakdown situation to minimize loss time and inconvenience. However, the Motor-pool shall not be liable for any costs incurred by the travelers other than the actual cost to repair the vehicle. This specifically includes room and board.


If a motor pool vehicle has a mechanical breakdown while on the road, please use the following procedures:

  1. Contact the Motor Pool Office Immediately.
  2. For Minor repairs (i.e., estimated to cost less than $300), the traveler is authorized to make full use of any credit card issued by the Motor Pool to effect repairs.
  3. For Major repairs (i.e., estimated to cost more than $300), the traveler must obtain prior authorization from the Motor Pool Staff by contacting the Motor-pool during regular business hours (see contact us).
  4. Flat Tire(s) are the responsibility of the driver to change or you may contact Roadside Assistance 24/7 USA Bank/Voyager Card: 800-987-6591

The Motor-pool will reimburse the traveler for repair costs paid by cash, check, or personal credit card. Original receipts are required for reimbursement.


Except when personal safety is threatened, the traveler shall not abandon the vehicle or place the vehicle in jeopardy.

Accident Reporting



  1. Do not leave the scene. Be prepared to communicate ALL details of the incident to the State’s adjuster.
  2. Call emergency services (911 or police non-emergency number) as needed.
  3. Take at least 4 photos of both vehicles, license plates, parking situation, insurance card for other party, and any notable unrelated damages. Include photo of the other party if applicable.
  4. Call the State of TN Auto Accident Call Center (855) 253-0629 immediately to report the incident, then call your supervisor and follow your department’s applicable procedures.
  5. Do not admit fault in the accident or promise coverage or reimbursement to anyone.


  1. Fill out a Damage Notification Card (this can be found in a orange envelope in the vehicle glove box/compartment) and leave it on the unoccupied vehicle.
  2. Call the State of TN Auto Accident Call Center immediately at (855) 253-0629 with date, time, and location of the incident, as well as any additional information you may have.
  3. Take photos of both vehicles, as well as the license plate and VIN tag of the other vehicle (on the driver-side dash, near the windshield).

*Contact the Motorpool Staff immediately to inform of any accidents or incidents incurred while traveling.



    In compliance with the statutes and directives of the State of Tennessee, as set forth in T.C.A.  §9-8-101 et. Seq., the University of Tennessee self-insures its exposures in general liability, automobile liability, professional malpractice and workers’ compensation.


    If you are in an accident with a third party while driving any vehicle on University business, Call the State of TN Auto Accident Call Center immediately to report the incident to the State of TN Auto Accident Call Center: (855) 253-0629


    For claim information contact:

    UTHSC Transportation Services

    201 East St., Memphis, TN 38163

    (901) 448-5857